Over a period of four years Green Up Your Act was given the honour, by the Low Carbon Trust, of organising school visits and providing environmental workshops in the award winning Brighton Earthship.
Through an interactive presentation, we take the schools assembly on a virtual tour of the building’s impressive range of sustainable technology; including solar panels, a wind turbine, rainwater harvesting, and the eye catching recycled materials used in the fabric of the building itself.
Food Miles Assemblies
Food and its relationship with the environment is often overlooked.
50% of the food we buy is imported to the UK and 1/3 of it never gets eaten. As part of this assembly participants learn how far food travels by tracing the journeys of different varieties of fruit and vegetables. As a school we discuss together how food is grown, the benefits of fresh food and the responsibility we all have, to reduce the huge amount of wasted food and excess packaging which is produced every day.
Plastic in our ocean Assemblies
In this assembly on marine litter, we learn at and discuss the use of single use plastic and their alternatives.
The destruction of the rainforest is one of the largest environmental issues facing mankind. In this assembly we take a look at some of the causes of deforestation.
The assembly starts by listening to the sounds of the rainforest. We quickly discover that rainforests are one of the most diverse ecosystems on the planet. They contain two-thirds of all the world’s plant and wildlife species. For example a single hectare of tropical rainforest may have as many as 200 species of trees. Large areas of rainforest have been cleared to make way for cattle farming and soya bean production. The removal of commercially valuable hardwoods such as teak and mahogany have accounted for most of the lost species.
- This course has opened my eyes to a new way of teaching! The experience has shown me how to take my skills as a Gardner and Scout Leader and use them in fulfilling my ambition to work as an environmental teacher. I’m looking forward to further input throughout the seasons.Matt SmithScout Leader
- Pupils benefitted from being able to handle a range of items made from recycled materials and discuss what they were made from and how they had been made. The workshops were fun and accessible to everyone as they were appropriately paced and the demonstration was easy to follow. Pupils came away with objects they had made to take home, knowledge they can apply in future projects and a greater understanding of re-using waste materials to make useful items.
- The children really enjoyed the bug workshop and they loved help find natural resources to help build the homes for the mini-beasts. The paper plant pots were a great idea and this will be used again! Many thanks Green up your act!Lucy SmithWakefield Methodist (VC) J, I and N School
- “Green up your act helped out at the Dalrymple Primary School during our Eco Week. Philip delivered an exciting “Green Shoots” workshop to the lower primary ages, which was thoroughly enjoyed by all of the children. He pitched the lesson well to suit the different needs and abilities, and the children especially enjoyed making their own paper pot with a seedling to take home. The upper school enjoyed looking at different objects made from recycled materials and then were guided through a craft activity, where they had a chance to make their own recycled notebook. Philip’s expertise has contributed towards making our Eco Week a huge success! Many thanks to Green Up Your Act.”Lauren Mc Nair Dalrymple Primary school – Scotland
- Thank you so much for today. The kids reported back very positively to their classes and were very proud of their wallets. I think everyone was suitably impressed by the Earthship assembly ideal and we’re looking forward to telling the whole school about it in our energy assembly, and asking the right questions about our new sustainable school building. We have a lot to think about in school now, and I know what they learned today will give them a confident start to making an energy plan and putting it into action.Anna FrendoSustainability Co-ordinator
- "This course is great value! It has given me confidence and lots of direction! The Eco club starter pack is just what I needed. I’m looking forward to starting my own Eco Club!"Vander Sande SophieBiology Teacher